Untitled

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 | 10 comments

by

Nidhi Khurana



I close my eyes and open the door
To a world of possibilities and allure
We'll see what life has in store,
Ah yes, we'll see for sure.

From the castle's perch, I see a virgin road,
winding up the country to my door,
Through lush meadows and sun-kissed farms,
Balmy air wafts in to soothe a sore.

I hear in distance the sound of light steps,
Anticipation shining in my eyes,
I scurry to the foyer clutching at my dress,
And as I start to open the door,
It just flies open in my face,
A gust of wind and of him, no trace!

Fantasy spins beautiful yarns of gold,
embellished with diamonds and lace,
Alas, life's brutal and cold
Dreams get shattered in a jiffy,
and the eternal dreamer falls from grace!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 | permalink | 10 comments

_______________________________________

10 Comments:

Lovely bunch of metaphors. Reminds you, in a way, of Lady of Shallot. Thanks for sharing it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 07, 2005 9:53 PM  

Brilliant employment of imagery! The castle, 'lush meadows' and gold fantasies remind me of Coleridge and his "sunny pleasure-dome"; the 'virgin road' in the second stanza took me back to Frost's many roads.

All in all, rich and beautifully written. And as you can probably tell, I'm fast becoming a fan! :)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 07, 2005 10:42 PM  

Sarkari afsar log kabse itne creative hone lage! :p

By Blogger BD, at April 08, 2005 9:55 AM  

I think the anti-climactic ending works for rather than against the flow and effect of the poem....

By Blogger Confluencer, at April 09, 2005 2:27 PM  

Though I am in no position at all to say this, still let me take the liberty: How about substituting the word "jiffy" with something more formal-ish. I mean "jiffy" is kinda colloquial and stands out among the rest of the vocabulary of the poem. May be "in a flash" or something? I don't know what I am saying. So may be just ignore this.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 09, 2005 10:33 PM  

Thanks, everyone.:)
And Gurinder: I am inclined to agree with your thoughts on the use of 'jiffy'. More critiques, comments are welcome.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 10, 2005 10:11 PM  

Nidhi, all I can say is BRILLIANT!!

By Blogger Saurabh, at April 11, 2005 11:38 AM  

My words of praise are redundant. The poem speaks for itself.

By Blogger Nickie`, at April 17, 2005 7:07 AM  

lovely.

seldom does poetry move me, this has.

By Blogger divya chandramouli, at April 20, 2005 1:49 AM  

wow, your poetry has moved divya. it surely has a strong punch then!

- Sayan.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 28, 2005 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment