My Masks

Thursday, April 14, 2005 | 2 comments

by

Natasha Ali



I wear not one, but many
Masks that protect me and shelter me.
Hide and disguise me,
From this big, and I’ve been told--Bad World.

My Mask is a necessary evil.
It is a robe that allows me to be “proper” and
“harmonious”
with those in this world.
And yet, it allows me moments to myself.
And a chance to retain my individuality.

There may be a smile on my lips,
But an ache in my heart.
No one need know,
I have my blessed Mask.

Turmoil rages within me.
Anger has a place there too.
But, my cherished Mask allows me
To keep the face I show the world--Serene.

At first, I mocked
When told I needed a Mask.
But learnt the hard way
That frankness and honesty are but foes.

Alas,
Total trust I dare not give anymore.
It brings me but pain and anguish.
Along with a wish………
That I had been wiser in my ways.

Now,
I know.
I survive.
By wearing my Masks,
And showing a different face.

Thursday, April 14, 2005 | permalink | 2 comments

_______________________________________

2 Comments:

hey natasha - u from sherwood hall - chennai ?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 08, 2005 10:54 AM  

Indeed I am.
Did u go to Sherwood too?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 24, 2005 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment